Photo Provided by the beautiful Rene Liv Mermaid from Anacapa Island
Plastic marine debris affects at least 267 species worldwide including sea turtles, whales, dolphins, marine birds, and now Mermaids!
Have you ever dreamed of the sea?
We make choices each and everyday that impact the health of our oceans. It is up to us as individuals to educate ourselves and take action to make changes in our routines and habits that benefit the environment. We are fighting to save the sea from human pollution.
The Mermaids focus on human-sourced ocean pollution. 80% of the pollution in our ocean comes from land based activities, the other 20% from water based. Have you ever thought where your pollution ends up?
You don't need to be near the ocean to be connected to it! All of us are connected from our freshwater sources to the great vast blue. A watershed is a geographical area in which all sources of water, including lakes, rivers, estuaries, and wetlands, as well as ground water, drain to a common surface water body. Because all watersheds are defined by natural hydrology they ultimately drain to our coastal waters. We are all interconnected by our water sources. Mermaids and Mermen are everywhere, we exist because of this cycle of water and are each connected to the ocean through it. Love your water for it is filled with magic and is ever changing. It ties us all together.
The ocean covers 70% of the Earth’s surface and contains 97% of the planet’s water. Water connects us all through our rivers, lakes, watersheds, beaches, our coastline, and coastal waters.
The beautiful vast blue is facing threats from many sides. As Mermaids we try to help youth and our communities to understand ocean topics and how each are interconnected with our actions in the everyday world. The ocean plays an integral role in sustaining all life on Earth. Protecting, nurturing, understanding, playing, and creating in this resource is vital for all age groups.
Problems The Ocean Faces
- Single-Use Plastics
- Pesticide Runoffs/ Agricultural Problems
- Over Fishing
- Marine Pollution
- Ocean Acidification
- Marine Habitat Destruction
- Gulf Oil Crisis
- Marine Invasive Species
- Water Quality
- Sea Level Rise
- Sea Temperature Rise
- Dead Zones